Our Client is a German online travel comparison and booking website based in Berlin, Germany. It was founded in 2012 and the first web application went live in 2013. From a small startup of just a few people, the company has grown to over 300 employees hailing from more than 50 countries who work at offices in Berlin, Prague, Beijing, London, and New York. With more than $400 million raised in funding, it is supported by several key investors who believe in its vision.
The website and corresponding mobile apps are available in 21 languages. The platform offers travelers the ability to organize transportation requirements such as trains, planes, buses, etc by using their easy-to-use portal and mobile application. They bring together more than 1,000 transportation providers across trains, buses, flights, ferries, cars, and airport transfers. It covers 207 European airports, over ten thousand central bus stations, and over twenty thousand train stations.
The Client is looking for a senior backend developer for their Search engine team. They are looking for an enthusiastic software engineer who has already built a few micro-services and knows what it takes to deploy and run them in a production environment with confidence. He/she will be part of an agile, cross-functional engineering team and join a community of highly skilled technical professionals working passionately to build a cloud platform that abstracts away the complexity and fragmentation of the data and APIs of the world of personal transportation and turns it into a structured and reliable system for client application teams to use. Apart from the core services, they also develop tooling and automation to improve their efficiency and gain more time to innovate. They work with all major train, bus, and ferry operators in Europe (and beyond) and strive to create a travel product that none of them can build in isolation.
What you will do:
- Work with your team to rapidly A/B test features on users, use results for iterations and improve our product.
- Design and build systems that connect to many micro-services & data sources and use the output to ease the life of travelers from all over the world.
- Use state-of-the-art data and cloud technology (queues, data stores, ETL pipelines) to move around the massive data on our hands to help the team make decisions.
- Design, build, operate, and maintain critical systems, owning reliability, performance, and availability.
- Apply your engineering experience to automate processes and maintenance.
- Test new languages, libraries, and frameworks and evaluate their potential.
Our technology stack is diverse and ever-changing:
- Couchbase, BigQuery, Elastic Search
- Kubernetes, Docker
- Kafka, GCP Pub/Sub
- Graphite, Grafana, Kibana
- Customer-focused: You have a passion for building intuitive and scalable products that enhance our analytical capabilities and drill down to what works best for our customers.
- Experienced and educated: You have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience and worked multiple years (3+ years) with production systems of high availability and high traffic.
- Up to code: You have experience in software development, you write clean, lean, effective code in multiple languages, all version controlled. You pick the right tool for the job and are not limited to a single paradigm or language.
- Pragmatic: You and your team take on complex multi-domain problems, analyze, design, build modular solutions, and deliver end-to-end in an MVP, value-first and iterative approach.
- An automator: You remove repetition and snowflakes through scripting and automation tools. You have deployed, monitored, and supported applications across stacks and technologies.
- You think big: A small, innocent application can always grow. You have ideas on how to distribute a system so that it can work at scale.
- A team player: You guide and help your teammates with planning and delivering high quality software and also take on communication across teams.